We are offering 5 hands-on Mission Trip opportunities this year!
Regular Worship Schedule (Starting Sept 1th)
9:30 - Contemporary, 8:15 & 11:00 - Traditional!
Eisenhower Flag History
Worhship Hours back to Normal8:15 & 11:00 Traditional, 9:30 Contemporary & Sunday School.
Sunday School Teacher Training EventRSVP by September 23rd to Rev. Candace Veon-Nyiri email@example.com or 717-339-6511
ALL CHURCH PICNIC September 14, 2014Great Conewago Presbyterian Church, 174 Red Bridge Road in Hunterstown: greatconewagopresbyterianchurch.org.
The "Church of the Presidents", visited by Lincoln and joined by the Eisenhowers, invites you to visit and/or worship with us in our active and historic church located in downtown Gettysburg.
SHORT HISTORY: Gettysburg Presbyterian Church began its work in 1740 in a log structure situated three miles west of town, at the present site known as Black's Graveyard. The congregation moved to the present location in 1842. The original building consisted only of a sanctuary. During and immediately following the Battle of Gettysburg, the church along with many other public buildings was converted into a temporary hospital.
On November 19, 1863, four months after the battle, President Lincoln came to Gettysburg to take part in the dedication of the National Cemetery. At 5PM, following the morning ceremonies at which he delivered the Gettysburg Address, President Lincoln attended a patriotic meeting in this church. He was accompanied by John Burns, a local patriot. The original pew is marked with a bronze plaque. The present church building was erected in 1963, reusing the original rafters and artifacts from the building that was replaced.
On February 1, 1963, President and Mrs. Dwight D. Eisenhower became members of the church. The pew President Eisenhower occupied was so marked with a plaque. The church also has an Eisenhower Lounge containing prints of paintings and memorabilia of the late President.
The Gettysburg Presbyterian Church was selected for a special citation as American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. 94 and is registered by the Presbyterian Historical Society in Philadelphia.